Sunday 1 May 2011

A BALLAD...




Once, you lived with us.
The picture album says it all.
But today, the sorrow is manifest.
Your abode, a void.
Now you only live in our memories,
Memories stained with your love, care and compassion.
In our hearts,
Hearts that you’ve created craters with your unforeseen calling.
In our minds,
Bullied with the continual imagination of your departure.
And in our prayers,
That we say relentlessly for the safety of your soul.
So I write this ballad for you...
A ballad for a fallen soul.

Now as I stand near you, supplicating.
I can hardly believe.
How I can’t even smell a whiff of your existence.
But can feel it all from within.
I can barely restrain the tears.
Like how the clouds are unable to restrain the rains when they gather.
My eyes completely inundated.
But the hope in this prayer at least leaves them dry.
That you are in radiance, in safe hands.
Restores joy to our hearts.
That your salats (worship) and good deeds will keep you company.
Inflames my desire to join you
So I write this ballad for you...
A ballad for a fallen soul.

I know that staring into these pictures would only ignite emotions and stir up tears.
And erupt an earthquake in my heart that no seismograph can read.
Why you left so early; only my Lord knows best.
But @ least it gives life to verses and supplications.
That nourishes my sacred thoughts.
And clothe my naked mind.
Your legacy still glows on our pathways.
As my feet rests on this soil;
I know that my Lord who gave life to the dead earth.
Will again give life to dead bones.
And by His mercy, we’d all dwell in manifest exultation.
In holy mansions.
In gardens underneath which rivers flow.
Reclining on thrones…for eternity.
So I write this ballad for you…
A ballad for a fallen soul.

Co- author: MOHAMMED SHAMUDEEN

No comments:

Post a Comment